Date of this dark green bottle

bspbsp
edited February 2021 in Question and Answer

No seams, appears too perfect to be hand blown. Machine applied lip? Pontil Mark on bottom? My late

dad hand dug bottles, I have 1000 or so left. I'm trying to remember how he told me to date them!!!

Comments

• Three bubbles, spun look in glass.

• Thanks for posting the photos. The key to your bottle lies in one of your final words - "spun look"

Your bottle was made in a "turn mold" so we can date it to (approximately) the second half of the 19th century. See this detailed, authoritative explanation of this technique: https://sha.org/bottle/body.htm#Turn%20molds

• bspbsp
    edited February 2021

Thanks, the pontil Mark means it was dip molded, correct? I'm still unsure of this processes date tho. This is so interesting! My father has every bottle marked with a number corresponding to what dump and the date he found them. His prize was a torpedo, and a codd in excellent condition. Thanks soooooo much for your response!!!

• It is unlikely, at this late date, that your bottle was blown in a dip mold. There is no pontil mark [scar] on this bottle. Unless you see clear tool marks or other irregularities on the lip, the bottle appears to be machine-made. Resembles a 20th Century scotch whiskey bottle.

• I should add that I see no indication that this bottle was turned in a mold. If it had been turned, the logo embossed on the bottom would have been smeared.

• There is a point, pontil on the bottom, no embossing. Also shoulders have horizontal striations.

• Definitely not a pontil mark.

There is nothing on the base that would prevent this from being a turn mold - this is a classic example of the technique.