Identification and value of what appears to be a milk bottle with strange marking!

edited May 2013 in Question and Answer
Well Hello Again!

I posted the previous question about the Hiram Wheaton Seltzer Bottle and, after trying to make sure I had enough detail in the last one, it made me think about this bottle that confuses me! Don't ya love newbies like me? LOL!

Anyway...This appears to be a milk bottle of some sort but it is definitely a BIM (See? I learned from your site!) It is a clear glass bottle with seams that go up the sides to the start of the neck and stop. The neck and top seem to be a separate piece added on in the process and it has a bale wire handle (wood) attached to the two glass hoops on the neck.

The neck has very crisp embossing on each side..."Patent Applied For" on one side and, this is what gets me...THE NJVJSON WETSKOPE COMPANY" on the other. But, please note, the first "E" in "WETSKOPE" is backwards!!!

The bottle is fairly clean with no apparent cracks or chips but MANY bubbles in the glass that really give it character! It measures 9 1/4" tall with a 4 7/8" base. The mouth is about 1 3/4" in diameter with a 1 1/8" opening.

There are no other markings anywhere on this bottle and I have had it for quite a while without a clue as to what it is, where it came from or, whether it has any actual value.

Once again, I've attached a couple of pictures and I'm hoping somebody may be able to tell me something good! ;)

Thanks again for your time and attention!

Comments

• I am curious as to why you think this is a milk bottle. The mouth is rather narrow and would not allow for cleaning.

I am sure the patent would reveal something but it would be hard to track down without further info. The patent could cover the handle design but could be 101 other things, and the name listed is probably not on the patent.

This could have been used for vinegar or any number of other bulk food or household products. It is early 20th century.

Chris
  • I only called it a milk bottle because I had no idea what else to call it! ;) There isn't a patent #...just applied for. And what I posted is all there is...no other marking anywhere on the bottle. Which is why I posted...hoping that somebody out there may recognize the bottle or the name. I had given up on even trying to identify it until I posted about the other bottle...I had to run and find it.

Still hoping maybe...
  • You are right - your best hope of finding info is to hope someone recognizes this and can help you out.

I might suggest a saved search on ebay - you could set up a search in the bottle category for just "Wetskope" which is unusual enough. Perhaps one will turn up with a label.

To illustrate how obscure patents can be - the bottle shown below has "Patent Applied For" embossed on the lid. I spent hours looking for this patent and finally found it - #534064 in 1904 for a machine that pits cherries. Related to the contents yes, but not directly related to the bottle. Would never have found this without the info on the label.