Questions on Embalmers Supply Co. Bottle

edited February 2012 in Question and Answer
The bottle is a clear glass bottle that is square with " THE EMBALMERS SUPPLY CO. WESTPORT, CONNECTICUT " on one side of it and on the side next to that it has a measuring device that is numbered 1 through 16 and on the bottom of the bottle 3-784 and in the center of the bottom there is an F with a hexagon around it. I found this bottle in Southern Illinois and was wondering if anybody knew a date on this particular bottle. I did research on the company and found out that is was founded in 1886 and is still in business but no longer use glass bottles.

Comments

• Fairmount Glass Works, Inc. (Indianapolis, IN) used the "F" within a hexagon as its company marking from 1945 to 1960, according to Julian Toulouse in BOTTLE MAKERS AND THEIR MARKS
  • Does this bottle itself hold any value or is it collectable? I have never collected or found many bottles but am gaining more interest in it everyday
  • edited February 2012
    There is some interest in collecting embalming fluid bottles. My friend, who amassed a fairly good size group of them, tells me that most folks seem to want the earlier cork top examples. Check ebayimage.
  • I actually just found two similar bottles in Pittsburgh
  • I just found the same bottle in Milford Michigan in a yard of a home built in 1872.
    The difference is that on the bottom there is only a faint number 1 embossed on it. Does anyone know how I can date this bottle? Thanks.
  • As is the case with most bottles, you cannot pin the date to a specific year.

If yours has the same F mark as discussed in this thread then you can can date it to the era of 1945-1960.

The original bottle discussed here is screw top. If yours happens to be a cork top, I would suggest posting a photo, and also describe the mold seam.
  • I don't know much about bottles, but I believe this one must've had a cork. It doesn't look like a screw top.
    The mold seam goes all the way to the top of the bottle. There doesn't appear to be an F Mark anywhere on the bottle. The bottom only has a number 1.
  • We found one buried in a hillside. Still has a cap on it and still has embalming fluid in it. Cap is metal but appears to be a ‘pop off’ and not a screw top. No cork.