Comments

• edited June 2018
    Curious to know if anyone has info on or came across a similar bottle made by this Co before?
    You will not find this exact bottle online except a few articles back in 1895
  • The bottle is 10" tall base 3" 1/2 X 2" 1/2
  • Well either way if anyone knows of this type of bottle made by this company first hand feel free to reply I will keep a check on this post
  • It would be help if you could provide the complete embossing. I cannot make out what is on the third side of the bottle.

At any rate, is one of thousands of patent medicine bottles from the later 19th century. Everyone and their uncle was in this business.

The intriguing aspect of this particular bottle is the shape - most unusual.
  • Well, heck, here is a 1930s price list for the company.

http://antiquecannabisbook.com/chap04/Illinois/IL_Med_H.htm

This is about 1000 times more info than one can find out about most historical businesses, most of which were home-based or very small operations.
  • edited June 2018
    I found that as well Chris, I should of posted what I had found It is embossed Allaire. Woodward & Co Peoria Illinois, left side it has (Nutrans) on the right side (Elixir). Yes I thought it was an interesting shaped bottle as well, It is mentioned in certain articles in dating between 1893 - 1895 One of the main ingredients was cocaine

• edited June 2018
    I have done a lot digging Frustration is I have not found another example of this bottle not one sold, not a pic. I been a hold of the national bottle museum etc... spoken with others that had 40 plus year experience no one has seen this bottle or more or less heard of it and was told to hold on to it, the only reference I heard of any recent mention of it was at a medical conference which they took interest and surprised in that the elixir was made which they found mention of it in a old medical journal
  • I hear ya. Fascinating to me are the number of totally unknown bottles which emerge all the time.

Hiding in plain sight as I say.

It is not as extreme as the world of insects where man has only cataloged a small percentage of known species, but I do believe there are a lot more fresh discoveries yet to emerge in the bottle world.