Two c.1900 unknown beauties

I dug these a couple of days ago out of a old school dump. Any ideas what the uses were and a value. The amber is loaded with tiny bubbles. Looks to me like this could be a first gen machine made. A 1 in a diamond over a 2 bottom mark. 8 1/4h x 2 7/8w x 2 1/8d. mint minus condition. The clear has a smokey green hue to it,Just an absolutely magnificent piece of glass. Great bubbles. Applied top, 16 FL. Oz. embossed on one panel. V&S over a 1 bottom mark. 8 1/4h x 2 1/2 x 2 1/2. mint as made!! Perfect! Thanks

Comments

• You have two early 20th century bottles, likely of UK manufacture. I associate the wide band around the edge of the base with UK bottles - it is not a solid rule for all bottles of all types and ages but fairly reliable.

The amber bottle's shape I associate first with medicine, but on reflection think it could also be a food bottle. When I first started collecting in the 1970s, I owned a "DR ADOLF HOMMELS HAEMATOGEN" medicine bottle which has a similar tapered body with a plinth of sorts. The irregular ring on the base indicates machine manufacture (Owens bottle machine)

The bottle on the right could be medicine/pharmacy but is generic enough that it could have had a lot of uses. That smokey color is almost unheard of in US bottles - one sees irradiated bottles with similar hues but I do not believe this has been irradiated.

Not much in the way of collector value here - but vintage and decorative appeal.
  • I thanks for the info. As far as people nuking bottles to "age" them I think is fraud. I've dug some beautiful irradiated bottles but find its always second guessed as weather it fake or not. Shame on those people who rip off others and ruin a good thing for us honest diggers