Whittemore Boston USA light blue bottle with metal plate in the glass

Hi. My aunt and uncle left me their entire collection of bottles they collected in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. I have no idea if they're worth anything or not. I took a photograph of all the colored ones, but there are still a lot of clear ones. Not quite sure what to do/where to start. If anyone has any time or interest in giving me any tips in general or about a specific bottle and/or how/whether to sell them and/or value, I'm all ears!

These photos show the colored bottles and I've written down details for each bottle, to correspond to the tags in the photo.

1. clear glass; tin top like a salt shaker; raised lettering on side: John Wyeth & Bro Phila"; on bottom: "229"
2. green; bottom raised "A.B.Co. X"
3. dusky green with no lettering anywhere and really, really deep "well" on the bottom going back up into the bottle
4. amber; both sides, raised writing "Father John's Medicine; botom: "14" then what appears to be an "I" in the middle of a circle; then "57" and beneath the I in the circle is an 8
5. light blue; bottom: just an M in a circle and directly under either a 5 of an S
6. goard-like bottle that can't stand itself up; approximately five "bubbles" in the glass and what seams like a seam of sorts around the perimeter
7. black/green/amber; only marks are two raised bumps on the bottom and one raised bump in the center of the well; there's a chip on the bottom too
8. amber; "contents 7 fluid ozs" on side
9. amber with rose bushes raised decoration on both sides and an area where a label could be. on bottom: "6 with a sort of diamond within a circle and then a + sign and below all that the number "10"
10. green; on bottom: C S with a 10 under
11. amber see pic 0495: at bottom of back of bottle "473-A" / on bottom: a triangle with a cirlce in it and some letters and #s under the triangle/circle
12. amber; front: Clover's Imperial Medicine" / one side: "New York" / other side: "H. Clay Clover Co." bottom has a triangle and a couple of circles; looks like the bottle had a screw-on lid, which is missing
13. same as #3
14. very light blue and had "Whittemore Boston USA" in kind of raised letters in the bottle. On the bottom is simply "13" also kind of raised. And, weirdly, there appears to almost be a metal plate right IN the bottom of the glass -- almost like the glass is surrounding the metal plate.
15. blue "Milk of Magnesium" "The Chas. H. Phillips Chemical Company Clenbrook Conn." on bottom: =U.S.A. and a sideways M
16. almost exactly like #15 except there's a weird symbol that looks like an H with an A in the bottom part of the H
17. amber; "capuoine for headache"
18. olive-green-ish; see pic here "0496" ; on bottom: Wm. Sanderson & Son ltd Leith Scotland and then over on the right "wx7"
19. olive green; no marking except a large "36" on bottom
20. amber; no marketing except on bottom what looks like two 8's right next to each other and then a square with a circle in it and a dot inside the circle.
21. iridescent yellow/gold-ish "no deposit no return" and on bottom: 2-3 then 9 with a circle with an I in it, then 68; next line says "S-3"
22. olive green with "V.B.Y.F. Villaviciosa" written on the bottom
23. very pale green or blue with faint raised marking on bottom: # 1_0
24. larger version of #15 and 16 except on bottom it has a sideways M next to USA
25. green; on one side "McElree's Cardui" on other side "Chattanooga Medicine Co."
26. dark green with two chips on bottom; no markings observed
27. exactly same as #4 but bottom says "14 [then I inside a circle] 68" and underneath that an 11
28. green; no marking
29: silver, possibly painted inside? the color appears to be inside. bottom has a diamond inside a circle with a 7 on the left of it and an 0 on the right and under all of that an 8 and under the 8, a 10
30. green; bottom: 3 with that diamond and circle then 9; under that an 11; under the 11 a "C 47"
31. greenish; marking on bottom is a B and then 98

In the photo with just four bottles:

1. amber with glass stopper; on bottom is a 3
2. image of fish and bottle covered in "scales" on bottom: 4 T in a circle, then 4, with a 2 under all that
3. seltzer bottle
4. no markings on this amber bottle

Comments

• I am always sorry to bring news that bottles are not worth much, but it's my duty to be honest. There is not a lot of value here save for a few dollars of flea market value here and there in the group. These are all common bottles.

The cod liver oil with the fish has some visual interest and everyone seems to like cobalt blue.

I am really curious about your #14 which you say has a metal plate IN the glass. A close up shot of this would be great to see.

The #1 bottle is also interesting in that it retains its metal cap. This company produced pharmacy supplies and chemicals.. I guess some type of powder was sold in this type of container.
  • Chris, don't feel bad about being honest! I just appreciate your time in even responding. Thank you so much for the feedback and your expertise. I will take a photo of the bottle that looks like it has a metal plate in it and post it in a separate post. Yes, #1 is interesting. I'll get a close up of that one just for fun. After this, I'm moving on to all the clear bottles, and the glass caps that go on top of electrical poles outside. Thank you again! I certainly appreciate your feedback. MC