Unique Unmarked Real Thick Flask

What a great website.I'm a avid glass and bottle collector and look forward to learning more about my bottles and adding anything I can to this forum.I have one flask I could never identify or figure out what it was used for.There's no marking on it anywhere and I've had other collectors shaking there heads and have had every suggestion for its use from poison used in apothecary to storing uranium.It's 5 1/4" tall by 3 7/8" wide.The glass on the bottom is almost one inch thick and the bottom has seams all around it and is almost a 1/4" thick.The seams on each side go all the way through the neck of the bottle.It's so thick on the bottom and sides it holds very little liquid.I've had it for a long time and always thought it was true green glass but as I've washed it over the years I noticed it's not and the stain is coming off.I've got well over 100 collectible bottles and this flask has got me stumped.Any help on identifying this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Stumped is the word.

About all I could tell you is that the bottle appears to be earlier 20th century.

It kinda/sorta feels like the glass thickness is intentional, but why have a thick base and thickness on two edges but not on the front and rear?

Also, when you say the stain is coming off, what exactly do you mean? The color of glass is inherent to the glass and is not water soluble. I have heard of people who spray lacquer over a bottle to change the appearance but such a film will separate easily with some warm water.
  • Hello Chris,
    Thanks for looking at my bottle.I would have gotten back to you sooner but nothing showed up in my email and I just checked your website and seen your reply.I took the bottle to someone I know who does powder coating and knows a lot about all kinds of finishes on everything.He looked at the finish on this bottle and really took a interest in it.I had washed this at least 6 or 7 times over the years in hot water and nothing started coming off until I scratched it.That was the only way I knew it had some kind of finish on it and you really have to use something sharp to get it to come off.My friend at the powder coaters put it under a microscope to see if it was enamel or something else he could indentify.He couldn't figure it out and said whatever finish was applied to this was put on with extremely high heat because it's a rock hard finish and there wasn't any film residue between the glass and finish that a microscope would show as you would see on enameled or painted glass that was applied at normal tempatures.The bottle and finish is really a mystery.I'm sending you some pictures of my other bottles you can use for your archives if you want to.Ill try and send you a couple different bottles every month.Thanks again for looking at this and putting together this great website.The pyramid shaped bottle is around 50 years and has the intials LNK LTD on it.The top is really unique and is made out of wood cork and some kind of natural rubber.The decanter is fairly new with a unique blown glass stopper that looks like a small paperweight.