Amber "Prohibited" Bottle Still sealed should / how do I open?

edited December 2014 in Question and Answer
Just picked this up on a whim. I am a full-time reseller but I don't think I can ship this bottle with liquor inside? Anyone know what I should do with it or anything about it all for that matter? The lid feels like it is welded on..
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes, if you are selling on ebay then they have prohibited the sale of alcohol for several years now. You will find some discussion on this elsewhere in this forum.

You have several options to remove the cap. Isn't is amazing what a good glue that rust can be?

- drill a hole in the cap and drain contents. Leave the rest of the cap in place?

- if you do not care about the contents then consider inverting the bottle and applying a liberal dose of WD-40. Give it plenty of time to soak in - overnight is good.

- use a rubber kitchen jar lid gripper or a leather glove to try and remove the cap. This might work but I suspect that even this may not be enough to break the rust's bond.

- the right slip-joint pliers or plumber's wrench might just be the way to go. For slip-joint pliers, you need to expand the pliers so you do not need to clamp down too hard to get the necessary grip because obviously you could break the glass. Here is an example of what I mean by the pliers.

Hope this is helpful!

• That is super helpful. I didn't think that the contents of the bottle actually helped the value but I I've been wrong before. Thanks again.
  • Yes, it is true, for 20th century liquor bottles, there is huge interest in those examples with labels, packaging and contents. Until ebay banned bottles containing liquor/wine, there was an active trade of bottles with contents.

Would you please verify the design patent # on the base - I would like to post a link to the patent. Thanks

• Sorry for the delay in response. patent is 90133
  • Wow, that was much harder to find than expected! Turns out the patent is 91033 - dyslexic mold maker I guess.

Patent attached - dates from 1933.
  • wow that is great information. Thanks a lot for that.