Clear Owens 3xvi bottle with zinc? screw top found near Lake Tahoe

edited September 2014 in Question and Answer
Found this Owens bottle with the oval and diamond logo with what appears to be a very small star in the middle of the logo stamped on the bottom and just maybe a plain number "1" with no period to the left of the logo. Stamped just OWENS on the bottom. 16 oz or 500 cc markings on either side. Metal crew top also stamped with logo but logo cap logo has the I in the middle of the logo. Uneven glass on the inside bottom has quite a few air bubbles and outside bottom shows the oval machine making mark that has one very faint line running from the oval mark up the bottle next to the side seam, but not touching the side seam? Top shoulder of the bottle has accent raised lines and the lines to the very sides continue all the way down to the bottom as side seems and appear to meet a bottom seam that circles around the bottom. Next to the 3xvi stamp toward the top of the bottle have a V-shaped glass bottle imperfection. Curious as to age and where made. Found up in wilderness near Lake Tahoe on Nevada side of lake. Any value?

Comments

• Often bottles with the Owens Illinois mark on the base also have numbers which can help one decipher when and where it was made. Unfortunately this one leaves us hanging. Bill Lockhart has done some great research on O-I markings which you may find of interest but as I said, I do not think it is going to shed much light on this one.

I love the O-I mark in the cap - not sure I have seen that before.

My guess is that this one dates from the 1920s or 30s.

Don't quit your day job quite yet - this has some minor novelty value but no really bottle collector value.

Chris