Can anyone tell me about this bottle?

edited June 2013 in Question and Answer
We bought this at a garage sale because we thought it was unique. And we are wine lovers, thinking it looked like a wine bottle. On the bottle it says "FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS THE SALE OR RE-USE OF THIS BOTTLE". It is a half gallon bottle. I can't find any dates or manufacture name, just some numbers on the bottom and a symbol of some sort. The cork also has a combo of numbers and letters. (R S07 267 and O 182). Any information would be great! We are very curious about it!

Comments

• Hi Michelle - In general we can say it held hard liquor, not wine or beer by virtue of the FEDERAL LAW embossing.

One can sometimes trace back the bottler via the R-xxx or D-xxx number on the base if you have numbers in that format. I have a long list which I have put together based on labeled examples.

The symbol on the base shown in your second photo is for Owens-Illinois which helps to date this bottle in the 1930-1960 range (roughly)

Chris
  • Chris

These are the numbers on bottom: D-10 56-54. (With the second set under first) Above these is a 2.

Thanks so much!!

Michelle
  • I tracked down D-10 to Brown Forman Distillers, Louisville Kentucky, who were the makers or bottlers of Old Forester. That would be the likely product but a bit more research would be necessary to make the connection for certain.

Your bottle dates to the mid 1950s - either 56 or 54.

Chris