Pretty, forbidden, squat and clear. Made by O-I, but what was the year?

I found this bottle in Mountain Ranch, California (Calaveras County). It was on a shelf in the barn of a retired cattle ranch. It is clear glass, 7” tall, 5” wide, and the depth is 3” in the middle and 2” on the ends. The sides are reeded and wrap around to front and back. The seams start at the bottom (underneath) and go up to and including the lip. It is imprinted with “FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS SALE OR RE-USE OF THIS BOTTLE.” Maybe it was closed with a stopper.

I learned a lot more than I ever expected to know from this and the Society for Historical Archaeology’s websites. Based on my newly found knowledge I am hazarding a guess that the bottle was machine made by Owens-Illinois between 1935 and the 60’s, to hold an alcoholic beverage. However, breaking the rest of the code to reveal the date, place of manufacture and all the other secrets of the bottle has proven to be beyond my level of expertise. Sincere thanks to anyone who can help.

The markings on the base are from left to right: a 2 on its side 7 B 1 The Owens Illinois marker
65-50

Comments

• A riddle and a rhyme
    Unfortunately these mold marks vary all the time.

Bill Lockhart has done a heck of a lot more research into the O-I marks than I have, but I can tell you these were created and used by the manufacturer and are not necessarily user friendly or seemingly consistent.

In the case of your bottle, could be 1965 or 1950 which would be consistent with the "Federal Law..." embossing. Could be another date too.

My line of research is to look at labeled examples and advertising. Unfortunately this bottle does not have the D-### or R-### which was, incidentally, required by the same law that promoted the "Federal Law..' embossing. These #s can be useful in tracking the company behind the product. So one is left hoping to find an example with labels or packaging. I periodically scan ebay and take notes...