Half Pint Midwestern Early American Blown Green Flask ID and value request

edited January 2013 in Question and Answer
I bought this little bottle from an auction in the sate of Indiana, USA. It measures 4 1/2" tall x 4" wide (11 1/4" circumference) x 3" base x 3/4" opening. It's a pretty shade of translucent clear bright green, has a flared lip (1 1/2" rim to rim), has a globular body, cylindrical neck with an 18 left ribbed pattern (I think), this one was hard to feel and count. It almost feels like the ribs are in two's and then a space and then another two. The neck appears as if the swirl was reversed going to the right. The base is inverted with a prominent pontil mark, looks like a belly button that sticks out but has been smoothed and isn't sharp to the touch. It does fill to the bottom of the neck with 1/2 pint of liquid. There are a few small bubbles and straw marks here and there but it's pretty clear for the most part. Could this possibly be an authentic half pint early 19th century flask? If so, what is the potential value of this piece in this color? Any information regarding this piece is appreciated.

Comments

• Hi

Welcome to the forum and thanks for all the great photos.

This is a handblown bottle and is made in the spirit of 19th century glass, but it is modern. There is a lot of modern glass with ribbed bodies like this which was/is made in Mexico and undoubtedly other places. This piece could very well just be the product of a US glass studio.

I think you will find by comparing this bottle to authentic examples that the pontil mark appears differently and that subtle characteristics of the glass will not match with earlier glass. Consider it a good study piece and consider attending an antique bottle or antique glass show to handle and examine glass. It is a great way to learn.

Chris
  • Thank you so much and will do! I'm going to a glass exhibition this month. :)