glass condiment set

I purchased a box from a yard sale and found this in it. can you please tell me something about it. thanks.

Comments

• ca.1880s, probably American-made by one of the pressed "pattern glass" factories... as each of the salt shakers is a different "pattern", without searching thru a bunch of books, I think this may be a "marriage" of pieces that were not originally together (but that's not a certainty, as sometimes the proprietor of a country store would put left over pieces together to get it sold). Your back left piece seems to be straw yellow; I have the same piece in amber; this might be Duncan's pattern #800, 'Heavy Paneled Finecut' to pattern glass collectors. Your middle one in canary yellow seems to be a Daisy & Button pattern, variations of which were made by probably 15 factories. The right one I do not recognize; the aluminum cap is a 20th C. replacement but the sapphire blue is a valid color for 1890 pattern glass (as are yellow and amber). Nice find - at the tail end of the pattern glass interest (about the year 2000), these might have fetched $45 or more in a moderate retail antique shop. Colored trinkets still command a little value but now collectors demand "perfect" and few of the old tops are still useable so perfect is hard to come by. Don't let somebody try to get you to sell cheap because these salts are chipped; the mouth of these are very often rough because of the method of pressing is completed by cracking them away from the "overfill" where the plunger is pulled back out of the mold. -- GlassBobB