happy new year - could you help me figure out a mark on a glass vase

edited December 2012 in Question and Answer
please help me figure out this mark

Comments

• evening--new to the board, found this at goodwill pls help me figure out the marking
  • Hi goldie, welcome to the forum.

Can you make a rubbing of the mark or a drawing and take a close-up picture? I cannot make out the detail from the small photo.
  • good morning, I have put this off for too long, only because I just can't seem to get a clear pic of the mark so I have done my best at what you asked......here is my best pic and drawing...
  • it looks like late Victorian-era, blown-in-a-mould. I'm going to guess that the mark on the lip is not a maker's mark, mostly because that is not a normal place for an identification mark. But also I suspect that the lip of this piece has been crimped into shape with an iron crimping tool while the glass was still hot & pliable; such a crimping tool might have left a roughness that you see now as a clue. does this piece have a pontil scar in the middle, underside of it's base? Is the gilding & enamel flowers fired on or just "cold paint" decoration
  • good morning Bob,

Thank you for you informative answer. I did not see any pontil mark at all. The gold gilding I believe is fired on. Hope I am right on this.

I found it very interesting what you said about the "marking" I believe you are right about the crimping tool used.

Last question, do you think these were made by a name maker? Or maybe just a woolworth store item?

Thank you for your interest.

• Only a few of the best glass types were marked before about 1910, even handmade one-of-a-kind. Cut glass makers in the U.S., using scratched signatures & acid-etched stamps, might actually have been some of the first in the 1870-80s. Don't know why ceramics are much more marked than glass but that's the way it is. The best glass made for kings and queens was not marked, Most glass with makers marks is cheaper stuff where the maker is doing advertising by putting a name or symbol on it. Tiffany & that ilk was still mass-production commercial production ware; by the same token, so is the ca.1800 handmade blown wine goblets that I collect, -- not a maker mark on any of them. --GlassBobB
  • thanks Bob,

So if I read your response it is a treasure of its own, hand blown about 1800=1900, and I can't believe made it this long without a chip or a crack on it.

Your information was very helpful.