Owens 3iii bottle

edited June 2012 in Digging Bottles
I found a stopper bottle marked 3iii on top front. There are no other markings except on the bottom there is an "O" in a box followed by wens and a 6 7 under it. I know iii=3 oz. and it is made by Owen. Any idea when and what the 6 and 7 mean. And any idea what it's worth? Thanks Steve

Comments

• I just found on the lower right front a 5 with 2 dots above and on either side of the 5. Any idea what this means? thanks
  • Steve,

The "O" in the square was dubbed the "Box O" mark by researcher Bill Lockhart. The mark is of the Owens Bottle Company of Toledo, Ohio and was used from 1911 to 1929. The company has changed and is today OI Corporation. See oi.com

Bill identified dozens of embossing variants. It is likely but not certain that the 6 refers to Plant #6 (Charlestown, WV) and the 7 is a date indicator - here it would mean 1923-1927.

Generic bottles like this with no company embossing on the body of the bottle are darn common and are really not worth that much, if anything. These were made by the thousands for use by pharmacies and companies. Add Label - Have Product.