What kind of brown glass jug is this...any value, is it old

Would like to know what kind of glass jug or bottle this is, or used for....and the age . Real dirty inside. Overall 13 inches tall, approx 6 inches wide and heavy. Maybe 4 pounds. No swags, it's straight up and down. Top of rim has 4 groved lines just on one side of the top. Other side is smooth. Only a number 7 on the bottom base. No other markings . Does have 2 indentions on one side at neck like it was something attacted as being molded, maybe to hold the huge heavy piece. Looks like the top was added on, 1 inch higher from neck grove to the top , but feeling inside there is no grove line, it's smooth all inside the jar neck. The 2 small faint seams go all the way up to top as i can see. There is little bubbles all up and down and around jug. Some small running narrow, and sideways. Some larger bubbles, running narrow but longways, up and down jug, some round. The base circle is also kind to one side, but is a level base. The circle part with a number 7 in center in photo shows the lines that looks like it was sitting on something, it left a Y line looking grove. No breaks or cracked places anywheres in this jug or large bottle. Would make big lovely lamp. Thanks and hope you can help on this piece, could not find any this big online that helped me. Thanks again !

Comments

• Your bottle is earlier 20th century and is machine made.

The reinforced(?) neck is a very odd design.

I associate this form in amber glass with the pharmaceutical or chemical industries. The darker colored glass is often used when the contents would be light / UV sensitive.

It does not have a whole lot of value really, but, as you say, would make a good lamp!