Pan American Cork and Spice Blend bottle

edited March 2012 in Question and Answer
This discussion was created from comments split from: clear bottle.

Comments

• Hi,
    I had searched all over the internet and had no luck finding any information on the bottle I have. It's a round glass bottle approx. 3" tall x 2 12" wide. Has a 1 1/2" round label with Pan American cork n spice blend. reg. u.s. pat. off. Cologne. Pickwick Cosmetic Corp. Dist 5th Avenue, New York, NY. 2oz. Label is like a cork color. Has a Mexican man with a banjo.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated. Sorry I do not know how to take pictures. Thank you Kathy
  • Kathy,

If it is value that you seek, then I can tell you just that the quality and the condition of the label drive the value - one cannot really judge that without seeing it.

As for age, more info would be necessary. Markings on base, how high up the side the mold seam goes and whether top is screw top or cork top all are helpful/essential, esp. in the absence of a picture.

Chris
  • Hi Chris,
    First thank you for responding. The base has no markings and the seam goes up to the lip. (but not on top). It is a screw on top with a beige cap. It had a beige seal on top of bottle but from opening it so much it is now inside the upper cap. Each side of the bottle has ribbed lines. Also the bottle is a heavy glass. The label is like a cork color and it is in excellent condition. I tried contacting Everything Pan American months ago and no-one ever got back to me yet.
    The fact that I haven't seen anything like it anywhere (and I been looking for months) I was curious if it is rare, If so what the value would be? I don't believe it is that old maybe 1940's to 60's. (I see I wrote measurement wrong. I meant 2 1/2").
    Thanks Kathy
  • Hi Chris,
    I forgot to add that the colors on top of the label are red, green & black. To me it almost looks like it's hand painted.
  • A mid-20th century bottle with a screw top could have some value but most from this era have not yet received a lot of attention from collectors.

Like I said, valuation is purely a visual process - I really cannot hazard a guess without a photo
  • Hi Chris,
    Thank you for the information.
    I hate to be a pain but I have another bottle that I am also curious about and I understand without a picture you can't give a value, but if you know or heard anything about it I would once again appreciate your help. It is a clear glass bottle almost 2 1/2" tall.
    The label is a beige color with a gold color border. The word Hollywood is in blue.
    Old Spice is in gold tone, has a gold and blue color rose, and By Hollywood Toronto is in gold tone. It has seams up to the lip. The top of the lip there is a silver seal (I guess the contains has evaporated). Also has a blue screw cap. On the left side of base is embossed with a diamond symbol inside I believe is a D (could be a O). On the upper outside of diamond is a raised dot. (a little smaller than a pea) On the right side of the diamond are two letters a small o and a capitol A. On the far left side it has a curve seam. I promise I won't bother you with all my other bottles LOL.
    Thanks again. Kathy "Have a Great Day"!
  • D in a diamond could be the Dominion Glass Works in Toronto
    O in a square could be Toledo Glass Company, Toledo, Ohio
    There are other possibilities. It might be an Owens Illinois mark.

Once again, a sketch or photo really is needed here.

• Hi Chris,
    Okay I am going to see if I can get someone or somehow take some photos.
    Thanks Kathy
  • Hi Chris,
    I finally learn how to take pictures and send them. I know the photos aren't to good but hopefully you can get some idea from the pictures. The word Hollywood is on top in blue. OLD SPICE is in gold tone.