Help with this pair of deep cobalt blue and very tall bottles

edited March 2011 in Question and Answer
I have a pair of 14 inch high, 2-3/4 inch diameter, deep cobalt blue blown glass bottles. They have applied lips, and what probably is a cast-in fake pontil mark on the bases (smooth and same on both bottles,) although it may be a manufacturers mark (second photo)? These came from my father's collection, and he didn't add to his collection after about 1935, so I know they are older than that. I have no idea what their purpose was, and want to put them on eBay, but don't know how to describe them. Both have some small depressions on the top edge of the collar or lip that I don't think are chips, but one (last photo) does have a nasty chip in the same area. Can you help with a description and a suggested starting price for the pair, or should I start them at 99 cents. Thanks, Bill Hough
cb1.jpg 171.9K
cb2.jpg 236.5K
cb3.jpg 169.2K
cb4.jpg 170.3K

Comments

• Bill

These are a challenge to pinpoint - my best educated guess is that they are European and are perhaps late 19th or early 20th century. If you did not say definitively that they are pre-1935, then I would have thought them to be later than that, esp. by the appearance of the bases.

They are big, dramatic and attractive but I am not sure they are particularly valuable. It is really hard to know where to start them bid-wise, since ebay is not exactly attracting a lot of bidding these days. My friends and colleagues who are listing seem to have moved more to the Buy It Now option.