Do manufactoring flaws in otherwise common bottles make them collectable or add value?

edited November 2012 in Question and Answer
I have a Large Soda Bottle from the late 70's. I can remember them from my childhood. I believe this could be a Pepsi or a Dr. Pepper bottle since both were bottled about 2 miles down the road at the old Pepsi cannery. This is the plain clear glass with a thick collar on the neck (maybe 2 litter). My bottle has a "swing" of glass intact at the lower half. When the bottle was made the fragile piece did not break, when the bottle was filled with soda it did not break, when it was emptied it did not break, and for 30+ years in the woods it did not break. The bottle has at the very least started a few curious conversations.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Excellent question.

That is about the best example of a "bird swing" that I have seen. I wish the photos were clearer! Occasionally, one will see 19th century bottles with a thread of glass in the corner near the base, but nothing like this.

Hard to say if this really adds a lot of value to a modern bottle that is otherwise not worth anything. It is however one of those curiosities that, like the face of an angel in a piece of toast, that has suddenly captured a lot of attention on ebay and created a bidding war...