Hurricane Sandy finds - Kenney's Bottling works Bridgeport ct ?

edited November 2012 in Question and Answer
Hello, I am new here. I found what I believe is an old soda bottle. It reads Kenney's Bottling works on the front in raised letters, 6.5oz around the bottom rim, and 3 stars around the top on what looks to be an orange peel texture. The bottom reads Bridgeport Conn, which I'm guessing is where it was bottled. I found this on the beach in Milford Ct. after Hurricane Sandy along with 2 beach worn coke bottles from the 50's(cool). I was just wondering if anybody had any information on this bottle, brand, location,value ect. I cannot find a single bit of information about this bottle at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

Comments

• Welcome Jeff.

Hurricanes do have a way of tossing out long sunken treasure.

The problem with crown top soda bottles is that there are thousands of them and no one has exhaustively tackled documentation of them. It is mid 20th century and the Bridgeport, Conn embossing suggests the company had multiple bottling locations. The marking on the center of the base might yield the location of the bottle manufacturer - do describe it a bit and I will look it up in my reference books.

You might create a saved search on ebay for Kenney's Bottling Works and see if any paper items turn up that might give some info on the company.
  • Hello historic,
    Thank you for your response, I have contacted the Ct. historical society as well, maybe they have something on file. If they do I will certainly relay the info. As for the makers mark on the bottom, it appears to be a C or possibly a G with in a square. ( mocked up what I saw in attached photos). I appreciate your help with my dive into history! I have attached the beach glass coke bottles I found too, I find them very cool......
  • Jeff

I dug through BOTTLE MAKERS AND THEIR MARKS and find an entry for Glenshaw Glass Co. in Glenshaw, PA. which was in operation from 1895 until at least the 1970s.

They adopted a block G in a square for a logo around 1930 - this could be it.

Chris
  • Hey Chris,

Thanks for the tip! You were correct with the makers mark identification. Glenshaw Glass Co. I was able to locate the dating code on the lip of the bottle. It is an "H" which tells this bottle was manufactured in 1936! I'm still unfamiliar with the bottling practices, why does it say Bridgeport Conn on the bottom? Was the mould created in a factory in a different state and CONN engraved as the destination? Who was Kenney's bottling works? Kinda funny how bottles have so much going on...... Thank you very much for your attention to my glass treasure. I'm gonna keep at, see what else can be dug up!

Here is a link to the site with the dating codes

http://www.angelfire.com/pop2/collectorscorner/glenshaw.html

Jeff
  • Jeff

As previously mentioned, the Bridgeport, Conn embossing suggests the company had multiple bottling locations or multiple business locations. The older Coke bottles were base marked from dozens if not hundreds of towns and cities across the US.

Chris
  • So, I went back to Milford beach and found another piece of local history. This bottle was embedded in what seemed to be some very dense sediment. (I'm guessing this substance is what Sandy uncovered, releasing these bottles.) This Bottle has the words Greater N.Y. Bott Co. and Bridgeport Conn under it on the bottom rim. The Bottom has the initials G.N.Y. and the makers mark looks to be a triangle with an R in the middle. (Reed Glass Company, Rochester, NY (1927-1956). Its says 6.5 oz (soda?) I was wondering if anybody else has seen a bottle like this before or can help me zero in on a date. Thank you for any help.

• My grandfathers name was Tom Kenney. Kenney soda was his company. When we were young there used to be a soda truck which made deliveries similar to the old milk truck. He lived at the beach in lordship summers .
  • Wow! Thanks for responding. Does the bottle look familiar to you?

Jeff