Can anyone tell me about this small bottle??

edited September 2012 in Question and Answer
Can anyone tell me about this small star bottle? It is 3 inch tall 2 inch wide has a heavily embossed star on one side. In the center of the star ther are overlapping letters M R and i think a C . Would this be considered a flask? Is it a perfume or medicine or poison? Iam new to site I appriciate any info.. It has a tooled lip and the seam goes half way up the neck.

Comments

• I can't say I have ever seen this one - it is impressive with its large star which is unusual.

My gut reaction is medicine, perhaps containing pills of some sort. It is going to take some serious detective work to figure out the company/product. You have to hope someone recognizes it and has seen a labeled example.
  • Thanks again, historic. I appreciate it. I just love that little bottle . I also found an F A Osten Pure Salad Oil New York. About 10 inches tall, nice aqua blue, the seems stops before the lip, real thick seem. Do you know anything about this bottle? I could not find anything about it.
  • Ric are you saying there would have been a label on the other side of this bottle.
  • edited September 2012
    Betty Zumwalt's book, Ketchup, Pickles and Sauces has an entry on p. 324 for your Osten bottle. She describes it as rare and 8" tall. She reports that he was in business from the early 1870s until 1896.

There could have been a label on the reverse of your star bottle, but I am not entirely sure. Somehow the product needed to be marketed so it was either via a label, a wrapper and/or a box.

Chris