What is this cobalt blue bottle? Can't find anything!

edited August 2012 in Question and Answer
I found this bottle at the bottom of a lot box I bought at an auction. Trying to identify it has gotten me more confused. It has no seams, no markings other than the dragon-like figure on the front. You can see air bubbles inside the glass, some are quite large and the glass is very thick and heavy. Inside the bottle, where the dragon-like figure is, are very indistinct depressions. I've included a front photo and a side photo as the shape is unusual and off kilter. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Odd, indeed.
    Height?
    Can you provide a photo of the base?
  • The figure on the front is a griffin.
  • Here is the base of the bottle. It's 4 1/2" x 2 3/4" , the bottle is 6" high.
  • Wasn't sure about what the creature was. I thought griffins had the head of an eagle with the body of a lion?
  • Do see my link (above in thread) to the wikipedia page on griffins.

This is a really unusual piece. It has all the appearance of a late 19th or early 20th century bottle. The base strikes me as English, but I could be wrong.

I can say one thing for sure - if it had embossing, it would be a home run!
  • Thank you for getting back to me about my bottle. Any ideas of what to do now or where I might go to find out? Never had to do this before so I am at a loss. Was really hoping the griffon on the bottle would tell it's story. Thank you again.
    The link was great!