Please help me identify this glass bottle.

edited September 2011 in Question and Answer
A friend of mine found approximately 80 of these bottles in his uncles garage and hardware store after he passed away. They hold 1 quart of fluid and look to be hand blown glass. A few of them have a 30 W or 40 W on the bottom. I thought they may have been used for oil but I can not find any proof of that. We would like to learn about the history, use, and value of these bottles. Any help is appreciated.
[IMG]http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb391/cdsaun/5180bc17.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb391/cdsaun/11a32010.jpg[/IMG]

Comments

• Definitely soda bottles. My best guess would be 1940s or 50s, but possibly earlier.
  • Would you know what brand was associated since their are no markings other than a few that have 30W or 40W on the bottom? Also do they have any value? Thanks
  • Like many unembossed bottles, these were undoubtedly mass produced for use by bottling companies who applied their own labels.

Individually, I would say these have no value....but one never knows....might be worth putting them in the FREE section of craigslist. Someone might want them.
  • I don't believe he wants to get rid of them....he mentioned putting them on a shelf in his workshop. Just curious to what he had. We did find that 2 different oil companies did use a bottle like this for motor oil. Actually came across an article in "Check the Oil" magazine. We have no labels as they were paper and because these were mass produced as you have already stated. I appreciate the input and we thank you for all your help.
  • Hmmm, old mass-produced bottles isn't my area, but I watch "Pickers" -- with their penchant for old automobile & gas station products -- and it seems to me that collectors like those the Pickers are buying for would love to get a hold of 80 authentic 1-qt oil bottles for their antique gas station / garage collection. [Bottles with 30W & 40W found in an old garage HAVE TO BE for oil, -- 30-weight & 40-weight is how motor oil is calibrated for viscosity. The use of glass bottles made them reusable; keeping paper labels on them would be only temporary, while oil and other fluids they came in contact with would certainly dissolve label paste in short order.] Maybe as singletons they wouldn't be worth much but in groups they should be reasonably saleable. If you could find one or more of the metal carrying racks -- they were something like the handled carrying cases the milk men used during the same era (before plastic) -- then 8 bottles in a rack might be $50-$100 in the right places. BobB
  • Bob, you are a far better marketer than me. I guess I spent too much time as a kid smashing stuff like this when digging for better bottles :-)
  • Tonight, at auction, six 1-qt. oil bottles, each with fabricated metal pouring spout, in an iron strap carrying basket with 10 compartments, sold for $90 + 15% premium + 6% tax. Granted the bottles were more the shape of round long-neck milk bottles -- and 2/3s the value was probably in the basket & tops -- but the bottles made it a complete recognizable vintage garage collectible.
  • 03usmc41 wrote:
    imageimage

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020N using Tapatalk