Found Vintage brown glass flask bottle 1 pint in a old bottle dump behind old house dump spot in MI.

edited November 2016 in Question and Answer
Need help identifying this 1 pint appears hand blown brown glass flask. Has the two vertical seams on each side.

Age would be: ?
Value would be: ?
And ...what is it: ?

The flask has "quite a image embossed in it all the way around to the back".

BOTTLE IMAGE: Shows an "oval" on the top front 3" across looks to be for a label. Below oval is a huge portrait of a "George Washington" looking gentleman wearing 8 stars on his right shoulder and 11 stars on his left shoulder military captain's uniform. If you look, he sits in front of a sailing ship, men to his right, a mast going over the top the oval, sea water on the bottom 1/3 of the bottle, and other American ships steaming on the water behind or on the back of the bottle. On the back the left and right ships are separated by a indented square in the glass about 3" X 2" made for the back label. Appears a battle is going on with a ship mate standing over one guy on the deck. Clouds or Cannon shots are visible on the top right front.

On the bottom: Nice chip off the front side bottom rail.

Bottom Emblem: A CIRCLE with a DIAMOND -- <0> cutting through it - looks like atom. With

6 < 0 > 4

See Attached Photos:

Comments

• Hi
    Thanks for posting the photos

This is what is known as a "prepro" bottle - that is, pre-Prohibition - so we can date it to the teens or 20s. It is a whiskey or other spirits bottle.

The maker of the bottle would be Owens Illinois.

Value-wise unfortunately the chip really hurts it so little or no value.

I am not sure this is Geo. Washington pictured....I will dig around and see what I can come up with. Finding a labeled example is the secret to identification...

• Hello,

Thank you very much for all that information. Owens Illinois is still in business using the OI stock symbol. Yes that chip is a serious hit to this bottle and gosh darn, I really appreciate all the xtra information about this piece.

I've never seen anything like it, I checked ebay...etc. If anyone has ANY information on a label, seeing one of these, please forward on the information and notes you might have!

Thank you Chris! (sir).

..Layne...
  • Suddenly it occurred to me - John Paul Jones and Paul Jones whiskey. This image clinches it: