Black Glass Bottle Question

I have a black glass bottle that is sort of an odd-ball in my collection. I don't know if the bottle is British or American or from someplace I haven't considered. Can readers here tell me if this form is familiar from your local digs?

The bottle was blown in a turn-mold, and has a lip that suggests to me a British beer/ale bottle. The volume is 24 fluid ounces, which is a beer bottle size in the USA. The sloping shoulders with the skirted bead-lip make it stand out on a shelf of early wine bottles. I'm only guessing at a date of 1840-60 for this bottle if it's a British bottle, and 1860-70s if it's an American bottle.

Do you have an opinion on this bottle?

Comments

• Here's more information: I looked over my black glass, and this is the closest match for the lip finish on the mystery bottle.

Unhappily, there is little other similarity between the two bottles. I think the half-bottle is earlier at about 1815-20 (ref. Roger Dumbrell.)

The fact that the mystery bottle is not pontil-scarred suggests a later date. I just don't have many of these mid-century black bottles, and the ones I do have are blown in 3-piece molds (and not turned in the mold).
  • Hi Harry
    Thanks for your contributions to this forum.

It is an oddity for certain so I have to go with instinct alone - the shape of that applied lip to me is not American. I cannot think of an example of an American bottle which would have such a lip or even the detail of the base.

English or Continental - I am not sure.

My hunch is that most collectors would date this to the mid, likely third quarter 19th c.

• Thank you, Chris. The Brits on a UK forum didn't recognize this bottle from local digs. One suggested he had seen a similar form from the goldfields of Australia. Another suggested Continental, perhaps even Scandinavian.

The French like to turn their bottles in the mold (as has been done with this mystery bottle); but, the lip is unlike any French or German bottle I have ever seen. By the process of elimination, Scandinavian is looking better and better.