IS THIS A FAKE? EVEN IF SO, DO GOOD FAKES HAVE VALUE?

Hello,

I have a pink glass bottle that I'm trying to identify the date and price of. The bottle has a mold seam that runs from the base to the top edge of the mouth. There is a horizontal seam connecting the bottom of the mouth to the shoulder. It is a screw top, so probably made after 1910, according to the awesome Guidelines for Determining the Age of Antique Bottles that I stumbled across. I can see bubbles throughout the glass and the pinkish/purple hue does seam exaggerated. I could not find a makers mark anywhere and there are a good amount of abrasions and staining.

If this is a fake, does it have value?

Thank you very much for the guidelines by the way. Very informative!

Comments

• Manganese was used as a decoloring agent prior to 1915 or so... you will find discussion of this elsewhere in this forum. Bottles with manganese will turn a purple-ish color when exposed to sun, or, in more recent times, to strong UV light sources.

This is a ketchup or food sauce bottle from the very early 20th century.

To answer your other question, "Do fakes have value?" - there are lots of examples of reproductions, replicas or modern bottles made in an old style which do have some decent value. A classic example are the EG Booz cabin whiskey bottles. Even the reproductions can bring hundreds of dollars.
  • Chris,

Thank you very much for your expertise on this matter. I'm going through so much old stuff of my parents and their parents and have no idea what to just toss so this has been helpful.

Warm regards,

Nick