Bent neck wine decanter who could have made this

I've never seen a wine decanter with this sharp of a bend in the neck.Blenko makes several styles of bent neck decanters but none are this sharp and the glass isn't this thick.Its a 1/4" thick and the bottle is heavy.It has a leather wrap I'm thinking about taking off because curiosity has gotten the best of me and I don't know why someone would put a leather wrap on such a nice bottle.That's antique bottle collectors blasphemy.I bought it with 2 New Martinsville goblets from the 1930's and the person I got this from said the bottle was wrapped in leather in the 1970's and he didn't know how old it was either but he thought it was from Italy.It's 10" tall without the 1 1/2" metal base that's been wrapped right in to the bottle.The handle is glass and part of the bottle.Any ideas.??? Let me know what your best guess is before I take the leather wrap off that should tell us who made it.Again it's thicker than anything I've seen that's bent from Blenko murano and Empoli and the green glass is really deep and clear.Theres not any machine lines in the spout.Thanks for looking at it.

Comments

• At first glance, before reading your comment, I thought Spain or Portugal. Italy also makes sense. Cannot say I have ever seen such a form.

It reminds me of a Spanish Porrón but is definitely different.

As for age, I am thinking mid 20th century makes sense. I presume the glasses are pressed not cut?
  • Thanks Chris for looking at it.I'm getting ready to take the leather off of it and hopefully that will give up some clues.Thanks again.
  • I finally decided to take this leather cover off hoping to find something that might identify who made this and all I got was more questions than answers.I thought there had to be some reason why there was a leather jacket on this like a huge chip or crack or some real bad imperfection.I never expected to see such a beautiful piece of glass.It's as close to perfect as you can get in the nicest color of green I've ever seen.The only thing it needs is the base ground and polished down or taken off.The bottom of this sat in a base with thick cardboard sides and a metal bottom filled with glue all around it that had hardened I've shown in the last picture.There was a piece of tape over the pontil that got throughly soaked as it sat in the bucket of water for 3 days.I can make out Italy and the date of 1928 but the name that's on it is illegible because it got wet and is just hard to decipher.The jacket that was on it looks like it's from the 1950's or 1960's not the 1920's.What I find so interesting is the talent it took to get this sharp of a bend in the neck without crimping it.It's perfectly bent.My last hope of identifying this could be the symbols on the family crest or coat of arms on the leather I've shown in the last pictures.Because of the leather jacket and coat of arms and the base wasnt finished I think this could have been a gift given to someone from a very talented glass blower.Any ideas now that the leather jacket is off.??
  • The base on this is so completely odd. That huge slab of glass with the flaking all around the edge is like nothing I have seen in a blown glass object.

I too am at a loss as to the age, except I would agree that mid 20th century would be my initial reaction.