Need Information on a Bishop , The Bird Man , Baltimore Maryland bottle 7 1/2"

Hi , I have this embossed bottle that reads " BISHOP , THE BIRD MAN , BALTIMORE , MD
it is pale green , 2 seams ( I can't tell if they go over the rim or not ) , demi-john interior base - but the bottom is only slightly convex , small dime sized circle on the base ( maybe a ground pontil mark ) swirling in the glass on the sides . A little sic shadowing inside . Lots of bubbles and lines .
I can find info on Henry Bishop , Baltimore Md. , he wrote books on the care and feeding of birds , wrote sheet music and poetry , later bought a grist mill ( the Shipley Mill ) and started a goldfish business . He then became known as the Pioneer Goldfish King .
But I can't find info about this bottle .... and yes it will be for sale . I checked it with a black light and it does glow a pale yellow in it .
Thanks .

Comments

• I have seen this bottle with a label (which has a red background) - contents were for treating bird lice.

Your bottle is aqua, it does not have a pontil mark and dates from the late 19th century.

Hard to tell from photos but it seems like it might have a bruise near the base and possible some roughness at the mouth - this would, if true, definitely affect value.

My gut reaction (not knowing the bottle specifically) was that it might be worth in the $25 range, although I found a reference in Michael Pollak's book (book shown in sidebar on forum) that it has a value in the $75-100 range. I thought that sounded kind of high.

The bottle is probably listed in the Baltimore Bottles book - see http://www.baltimorebottleclub.org/book.htm and if you happen to live near Baltimore and could attend the Baltimore show, I would recommend doing so! It is coming up soon - March 1 and 2, 2014.
  • Hi , Thanks so much ! That helps . I checked it over , There is a enclosed bubble in the glass near the base , but nothing open . It's completely smooth on the top and rim , no roughness . There is a smooth wrinkle near the rim . Other than interior discolor, I find no faults , it's completely smooth all over no roughness anywhere . ( my lighting was pretty bad for the photos that day ). Is the haze something a collector could polish out ?
    If this is it's only fault where would you guess a reasonable price range would fall ? I'd planned to do an Ebay listing on it .
    I wish I lived close enough to come to the show , but I'm too far away , almost the Tennessee line .
  • I really cannot say anything further about value for this one.

As for the stain, yes, this can easily be tumbled/polished out.
  • I really appreciate all your help .
    Thanks so much .
  • I would love to buy this bottle!!!
  • If you happen to live anywhere near Baltimore, MD, I would suggest making it to the Baltimore Bottle Show in March. There would be a good chance of finding the bottle there!

I make the long journey there because it is always a great event.