1900's medicine bottles

edited September 2013 in Question and Answer
I have a pretty good bit of early 1900's medicine stuff from bottles to syringes.
My favorite is a strychnine sulphate bottle with with 99&1/2% label intact. its over 3/4 way full still its S.E. Massengill Company. cork is intact but top of cork is broke off. I also have the big amber apothecary bottles several of those. I have a medium-large size amber bottle has poison embossed vertically and label on front antiseptic disc. all are same company. I have 2opium bottles both with label these are one s.e. masengil the other lilly I ahve Tonsillitis follicular bottle with cork and stamp on top with little less than 1/4 pills still inside. a bottle with cute stopper thats clear and so is bottle with 1/4 product still in it with label. can you tell me how much these are worth and who I could sell them too. im attaching a picture of some of them, Thank you so much!!!!

Comments

• Hi and welcome.

Let's break down what you have into two categories: bottles that contain now controlled substances (morphine, codeine, etc) and those that do not.

1. Those that do not. From what I am seeing, these are interesting but not too valuable 20th century pharmacy bottles. They do have some value.

2. Those that do. You will find a small but ardent audience that pays silly money for some such bottles in good condition. They will sell better than those that do not, but don't expect the atmospherically high prices of several years ago. Thanks to a flood of reproduction labels and all kinds of items of questionable age and authenticity, the prices for all but the very oldest and best has fallen. (I am not questioning the authenticity of your items shown above at all)

Check ebayimage for pricing information. Be sure to select the checkbox for "Show only Sold Listings" in the left column to get sales prices for actual sales, not just items offered which have not sold.
  • I have looked on ebay. Seen couple that looked like mine.I found the strycnine bottle I believe in a book. Do you think it's worth or I could get close to it if it is it.
  • I wouldn't sell any of it if I really didn't need the money. I have more stuff from that time I got from same place
  • Hard to say - putting an item at auction means you are taking what the current auction market will pay, not what it may be worth in a book or what you might sell it for at a different venue. As I said, I believe that pharmacy bottles that specifically have contents which are controlled substances were artificially high in price for a time.

Those of us who have collected for many years (me over 35 years) have seen market sectors rise quickly then drop back.

You are not going to find exact matches for bottles on ebay but if you look generally at closed pharmacy bottle auctions you will see many - even with cocaine, cannabis, etc - are selling in the $20-50 range.
  • Thank you for your help. I really appreciate your time I love old stuff an love finding it just not sure of the value even though I do search the internet the prices do vary so much. Thanks again