Help in identification/age?

edited January 2011 in Question and Answer
Could someone please tell me what this is and what its used for? The metal attached to it has an unusual design, naked fairies. These metal pieces are on all 4 sides. The amethyst coloring seems to be flaking off as well. Pictures are attached. Thank you so much.imageimageimageimage

Comments

• sorry, didnt mean to post double pictures....Also, to see the fairies, turn the bottle upside down
  • How about an easy question ?? :-)

This falls into a general category of likely mideastern glass. Age hard to tell. I have seen similar glass when traveling in the Mideast, and have a modern example that shares some similar characteristics...hope to post a photo when I get a chance. The important similar char. is the elaborate overlay.

The long wand would seem to be some type of applicator or perhaps used for filling a liquid into something?

There are lots of examples of indeterminate "Persian" glass which no one in the US bottle community (at least no one that I have spoken with in the past 30+ years) seems to know anything about.

On a somewhat related note, I do recall reading in ANTIQUE BOTTLE AND GLASS COLLECTOR (I believe it was a comment by publisher Jim Hagenbuch) that he remembers seeing a large quantity of so-called Persian saddle flasks at a flea market back in the 1970s. It is possible that someone imported them (and possibly other bottles like them) at that time.

HTH
  • hi I have 5 in different colors 1blue 1red and 3green they are also shaped different can you tell me where is the best place to search