3 bottles Found in Garden, any information welcomed

edited April 2020 in Question and Answer

Hi,

Unfortunately due to the lockdown my dad can't go to any museums at the moment so I really wanted to create a little museum at home. We found 3 glass bottles in the garden that I want to include. Any information is great as I am a complete novice.

The first is clearly a Bovril bottle, the blue one has h on the base, and the third tbh could just be a really worn down nail varnish bottle from very recently.

I also included a pic of another non glass container, I realise this is a glass forum but if anyone could point me in the right direction of finding information for that it'd be great, if not ignore and focus on glass ones.

Honestly any information even if you think it's super obvious is great , or places I can search for more, all will help

Many thanks

Emma

Comments

• Hello.

I am just a member here and have no expertise. But I have been studying glass manufacture a fair bit recently and your blue bottle is intriguing. It appears to have a rolled lip. The history is extremely complicated, but I believe the rolled lip may mean mouth blown into a mold. These are older than machine made. I'd try to get some answers on that one.

Your last bottle seems to have a bend in the neck. You should check if the mold seam goes up into the lip or not.

The bovril appears to me to be entirely machine made.

• Bovril is machine made, probably 1920’s the little blue bottle would have been a poison, again 1920’s although they were a utility style since 1900, the stone bottle is a “pork pie” ink bottle, so named because of its shape, the other bottle would seem to be a perfume container.

IF you have an old house you may have come across an old privy, there could be more, older bottles further down, or it could just be a depression in the ground someone filled with rubbish, either way, nice bottles.

rob

• I see the little cobalt blue bottle for sale by British bottle dealers as laundry-marking ink bottles.

Mine has the "H" embossed on the bottom. It has 2-piece mold seams all the way to the hand-tooled flared lip.