amethyst ribbed swirl bottle -- reproduction??

edited September 2011 in Question and Answer
I bought this bottle at a swap meet about 18-19 years ago. Is it a reproduction? I counted 18 ribs.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    One would love to say this is an authentic 19th century midwestern glob....but, no, it is modern. There are quite a number of these out there and they can be found in a variety of colors. You will find a bit of a collector demand for these bottles; they do frequently trade on ebayimage.

Keep on hunting!

PS. I did recently appraise one of these in amber and it was the real deal.
  • edited February 2012
    aaaahhhhh ... I thought so ... it looked a little too clean.

thank you very much for your quick reply!! what do you think it would go for on ebayimage?
  • I too am a sucker for nicely made glass using old craftsmanship, especially in colors; you see some nice Pitkin flasks with 'MMA' scratched n the bottom, made for the Museum of Modern Art (New York) gift shop. I notice the 'M' on yours, probably done with the grindstone used to grind off the base. I'm kinda guessing, but I would doubt any 'marked' bottles are likely to be old production glass.
  • Okay -- found another bottle in my box of stuff. It's a poison bottle -- it measures 2 5/8" tall, 1 1/8" wide and 5/8" deep. The skeleton is smiling -- no other writing on the bottle's face, back or sides. The bottom says PD&Co 41. The writing is very faint -- the camera could not pick it up. I bought it at an antique store about 20 years ago for $5. At that time, I thought I saw it listed in a bottle book for over $300??? Can you confirm that? thank you!