Antique or Vintage Whiskey Bottle?

Hi everyone!

I have a glass bottle that I recently acquired that I would like some help in figuring out where this bottle originated and if possible how old it may be and what it might be worth. The bottle is light blue in color when it sits in sunshine. There are embossed letters on the bottom of the bottle that I believe are two W's on the left and right side. The middle character looks like it may be a 6 that is embossed as well. The bottle has multiple seams that makes it seem like it may have been formed out of three separate pieces. The pictures I have attached point out the seams. The top of the bottle where a cap or cork would go is smooth and doesn't have the screw top design, but there is a bevel across the bottom of where the cork or cap would go. If anyone can help me identify this bottle I would appreciate it.

Thank you!
Melissa

Comments

• Hi, glad to help

Can you post some photos?
  • Chris,

I wasn't sure how to post the pictures in the original message. Thanks so much for responding so quickly! The bottle was found in Galloway, New Jersey if that helps at all.

Thank you again!
    Melissa
  • Great photos, very helpful.

What we do know:
    - the bottle was blown in a 3-piece mold
    - age is most likely early 20th century
    - used for liquor, most likely whiskey. This is a generic bottle sold in bulk to distilleries or bottling plants.
    - the glass has etching or staining from being buried or exposure to water.
    - cork top.

I cannot quite tell if there is a purple tint to the glass - if so, this indicates the presence of manganese in the glass. You will find a number of discussions on this forum on that topic. You said light blue - that would be unlikely. Possibly the bottle was picking up reflected color from something blue nearby.

The WW marking on the base is a mystery. It is possible (just a possibility) that this is the mark of Thomas Wightman and Co. from Pittsburgh. PA. or a sucessor. This glassblower used a similar "W" marking.

You will see numerous labeled examples online - check out this ebay search result: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.Xlabel+pontil.TRS1&_nkw=labeled+whiskey+bottle&_sacat=0

The value of such bottles are in the label. Unfortunately the plain bottles are darn common...

• Chris,

Thank you for your help! It was interesting to see that the bottle was from the 20th century, I figured it was but I wasn't sure. I wish there was another way to determine what the two W's stand for, I'll have to do some more research and let you know. I have one more bottle that I would like to get some more information on. It's clear glass, with a screw top. There's multiple short phrases on the bottle including "One Pint" and "Federal Law Forbids Sale or Reuse of this bottle". I think it may be from the Prohibition era, however, I don't know what the thick glass upside down horseshoe on the front of the bottle represents or if it is just a defect in the glass. If you have any ideas or guesses, I would appreciate your input!

Thank you again,

Melissa

• For this bottle we may be able to identify the brand or company by the R-xxx or D-xxx marking on the base. Let me know what that number is.

Bottles marked "Federal Law Forbids..." are specifically from the mid 1930s to mid 60s. See https://www.antiquebottles-glass.com/learn/federal-law-forbids-sale-or-reuse-of-this-bottle/

• D-9
    55 (looks like a circle with a 1 in the center) 57
    M-16B78

I think they're the numbers. I attached a picture too.
  • I have associated the D-9 marking (based on labeled examples) with Old Quaker Whiskey, The Golden Wedding brand (whiskey), and Ancient Age whiskey.

If you dig around on ebay or just do an image search for "vintage ancient age bottle" you can find some examples.