Mold Removal Mark

Is this a recent mold removal mark? Found what appears to be 2 old clear liquor bottles, but the mold mark seems recent, thx!

WF

Comments

• Bottom of one.
  • Bottom of other.
  • Top of the first bottom photo.
  • Top of the second bottom photo. It is an Ancient Age (AA) liquor bottle.
  • What happened to our pictures? My son is doing a project on how the Industrial Revolution changed the bottle industry. He has focused his research on how the bottles are removed from the mold, man verses machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

WF
  • These are both later 20th century bottles - no older than about 1960 - and they are machine made. The fully automated machine process came into use in the 1910s-20s era.

The stippling (dots) around the edge of the base are telling of their age.

I do believe the feature shown in the first photo is there to help control the grip of the bottle while handled in automated processes. Tried unsuccessfully to find the reference to this that I have previously seen online.

You will find Bill Lindsey's site (http://www.sha.org/bottle/index.htm) to be of help for further details on mass produced 20th century bottles.

Chris
  • Thanks Chris. Why do the photo's disappear on all the posts in this forum?
  • Hmmm, the photos should not disappear when directly viewing your post - you might try refreshing the page by hitting your F5 key (or command R on Mac)

I have noticed that when viewing a thread based on a link in the search box that the photos can vanish, but this is a different URL. I need to look into this issue.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Chris