A few questions

edited March 2013 in Question and Answer
I am new to this site, I came across it while searching and wondered if anybody could help. I am currently clearing out my Great Grandparents house and have come along a lot of pieces that have no markings, I dont want to flood this forum and upset people with the posts, I just have no idea where to go or ask, to start I have 3 pieces if anyone could give info I would really appreciate it, 2 are liquor bottles and the other is some blue glass, My Grandparents used to go out and collect antiques in the 50's every year, it would be nice if they had markings, but they do not. the one with the cork top only says liquor bottle with a number 8 on the bottom, the gold one that looks like a lava lamp does unscrew at the top and the lettering is on the bottom, the blue looks like a candy dish and some pencil holder or something.

Comments

• Is there any other place that somebody knows of that could help me find out more about these pieces?
  • The first certainly has some Mid Century Modern appeal but I have no idea what liquor or liqueur was originally in it.

I believe the second bottle is an Avon bottle from the 60s or 70s

The last picture shows some decorative glass pieces - once again - modern

These are all flea market or yard sale items. Not much value here.
  • Thank you for the input, The 2nd one you say may be a Avon bottle says Liquor on the bottom and stands about 14" tall but at least its a start.
  • Complete details are always helpful - I would suspect a bottle like that to be marked with "FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS SALE OR REUSE..."
  • Historic's remark that #2 looks like Avon is because the Avon company has put out numerous products during 1980s-90s in reproduction or antiquish-looking glass containers. The shape and the opalescent white glass make yours look oriental and 19th Century (or even 18th C.) but the stopper w/ cork is only used in the 20th century, -- but the real proof is that the bottom says "Liquor" -- definitely 20th C. & American? What else does it say? -- i.e. please provide good closeup photos of the bottom (& anywhere else there is writing or marks). Can't say much else about it until you give some more complete clues.
    In the 3rd photo, the right blue piece has the globular, free-form look of Murano glass (Venice Italy) of the 1970s-90s, though no where near the color variation of even their moderately good work.