Vase

edited November 2010 in Question and Answer
This belonged to my grandmother, my mother and now I have it. It is so strange and I was wondering if anyone might know where it came from.

Comments

• One thing is fairly certain -- it is not American. Several better, late-Victorian, English glassworks did wonderfully creative & sophisticated combinations of techniques like this ca.1851-1900 but a number of glass centers on the Continent (France, Venice, Bohemia) also had the skills and they are all known to have copied each other. The body seems to be of the Venitian technique called 'vetro de trina' made on the island of Murano from the 17th century and popular with English makers like Stevens & Williams ca.1885. But the freeform folds around the top do not look English to me; the metalic flecks & white dots within the applied folds suggest much more what I have seen on 20th century Murano giftware. So it might not be English but, with your family's possession over some years, it suggests late-Victorian tastes. Hopefully your grandmother has not played the trick on you that mine did on me; her treasures handed down to me included several colonial & Victorian reproductions she ordered from magazine ads after WWII.