Need help to ID Decanter Set

edited February 2013 in Question and Answer
Hi all,

I've recently acquired some antique glass and am trying to learn more about identifying clear, unmarked glass. The attached photos are a decanter set I'm trying to figure out. The seams on the decanter come up to a small lip around the mouth. Please let me know if there is specific info I can share that will help.

Thanks for any help.
-Jake

Comments

• edited January 2013
    You've got some American pressed "pattern glass". The decanter & 4 wines I think are Tarentum's Virginia (Tarentum Glass Co. Tarentum PA, 1895- ). Tarentum's glass was always better than average in design, with good crystaline clarity & crisp pressing; the Virginia pattern was made in 40+ different forms including bowls, a tankard water pitcher, etc. some of which can be found ruby-stained. The decanter & 4 wines would originally have been sold with a matching glass tray. The punch cups are some lesser glass in one of the myriad diamond-motif patterns; note the green cast which suggests it's little better than window glass quality. I think I have several Virginia punch cups, they being wider & more copious, with a ground & polished foot ring. You need to get a starter book for identifying "Early American Pattern Glass" (EAPG); most books on the subject only manage to cover several hundred patterns, so the obvious 'first book' should probably be Mollie McCain's "Field Guide to Pattern Glass" (Collector Books, 2000) which has moderately good computer generated line drawings of 2000+ items/patterns arranged in sections by prominent design features (Circles, Diamonds, Plants, Columns..). But this book is only the starting point and cannot be used as the Bible due to numerous instances of confusion, misunderstandings, mistakes. -- GlassBobB
  • UPDATE: I guessed wrong with the pattern on the decanter/jug set [McCain's "Field Guide to Pattern Glass" does not even include the real pattern]. It is Model Flint Glass company's PEERLESS pattern, Albany Indiana, 1895-1902; Ron Teal's book "Albany Glass" pages 50 & 51 have reprints of old advertisements which show your "Wine Set" (6 wines @ 2 oz. each, with quart jug & round glass tray). But again, your punch cups do not match up with illustrations of the PEERLESS cup. The PEERLESS pattern also includes a smaller jug (pint?) with 6 smaller wine goblets (1-1/4 oz.) which is described as a Brandy Set. -- GlassBobB