Green Bottle - Believe it's old, but how old and what kind

edited July 2012 in Question and Answer
Hi:
I got this at an Antique Shop and think it's old. My question is:
Is this a turn-mold bottle with an Applied finish lip, or is it a hand-blown with a sand pontil base?
I'm leaning towards the turn-mold as there may be horizontal lines around the bottle, but some do look wavy.

It's 9-1/2" tall and 2-1/2" wide at the base. Also, is this a beer bottle, or spirits?

Much Thanks,
- Greg

Comments

• It is a mineral water bottle. See the photo which I got from a current ebayimage auction # 300736136594.

This is a European made bottle from the late 19th century. It does appear to be a turn mold, has an applied lip and although the base does appear to have a sand chip pontil mark, I think the attributes are incidental to the manufacture.
  • i have a teal hock wine that is done the same way it is turned in the mold with a sand pontil and an applied lip
  • The term "hock wine" is a very general one for olive green bottles of this approximate shape. That rounded lip always says mineral water to me and also later 19th century... but that is not to say that this bottle mold's origins do not go back far enough to be part of the "pontil era"
  • here is another one, same lip