What is the Age of this Decanter

edited July 2012 in Question and Answer
Hi:

I found this charming Decanter and was wondering more about it. It has seams and is textured on the inside; a really neat swirling diamond pattern. It has two vertical seams on each side that fade about halfway up the neck of the bottle. On the bottom is a round section that seems to be molded in. There also is a horizontal seam around the neck just below the lip. There are air bubbles in the glass and in the neck there are stretch marks in the glass. For some reason it looks old to me.

Thanks.
Greg

Comments

• Hi Greg,

I do not believe it is that old - at least no more than 50 years or so. Does the mold seam go all the way up to the top edge of the lip/mouth?

Chris
  • No , it fades out about halfway up the neck I could send a pic later
    Much thanks
    Greg

• Here are more pics
  • here is one more pic of the neck
    - greg
  • Greg

I think it will be helpful to understand that this is a copy of sorts of a traditional "ship's decanter" See the example at http://www.ross-simons.com/products/522615.html It is Waterford crystal and is cut glass. In your decanter, the pattern is molded not cut.

You are correct that the mold seam (stopping part way up the neck) on yours suggests an earlier bottle which along with the "straw lines" in the glass appear like an older hand blown bottle. However, many modern imitations are deliberately made to look old and this is a clear case. The uniformity of the glass thickness, the color and the manufacture details all yell, "Modern!"

Chris
  • Thanks Chris,
    When I bought it, it was really dirty - given the impression it was old.

-greg