Does anyone know what this is or if its real or a reproduction

I recently found this bottle at a local yard sale. I thought it was nothing but after doing a little research I came across some antique fly catchers and was wondering if this is one. More then likely it is nothing but I figured I would take a chance and find out. Any help would be great. Thanks and all have a good day. Also what lead me to believe that this might be something of interest was the emblem on the side of the glass. I couldn't find anything on the internet about that particular emblem or marking.

Comments

• Hi, It's a real reproduction :-)

Antique fly catchers have an opening in the base for the flies to get in - I presume this is a bottle without a hole.

This is a loose facsimile of a 17th century wine bottle with an applied seal. Originals with a seal in perfect shape are worth thousands. Modern re-creations like this are made at the Jamestown Glasshouse and perhaps other places. These are collectible - I have seen such bottles trade in the $10-30 range.

Christopher Woods
    Historic Glasshouse

• Christopher has nailed down the high points (a slightly fantastical replica of a ca.1700 wine bottle) but I might make an observation: the crown in the seal does not suggest English but rather Scandinavian maybe. These applied seals usually contain the initials (or symbol) of the owner and/or the year. If we believe the literature (most of it British), the English originated the development of the wine bottle including the "sealed" types and most all the sealed bottles illustrated in the literature are understood to be English. The symbol of the crown suggests the monarch "CE" owned the bottle but I do not remember seeing any bottle with a crown in the literature. Sweden (& Norway?) had glassworks before 1700 and much of their wares copied the English styles. Then possibly this is a modern bottle from the giftshop of a Swedish glass museum. Or a recent liquid product made more saleable in an antiquish bottle. But based on the crown I'm still betting it has something to do with Sweden (or its creator knew even less about the history being depicted than we would hope). BobB
  • edited June 2012
    thank you very much...I figured it wasn't legit I just wanted to ask some experts. Although after reading this website and a few others I now know what to look for in antique glass so thanks everyone. I bought this at a garage sale for $1 so not a big loss. Thanks again looking more closely At the top lip there is a slit where the liquid could poor out of making the wine bottle theory seem very possible. Thanks again.

Also Now that i know what it is I am more interested in finding out what the seal stands for. Any ideas on where to start looking