anheuser-busch syrup bottle

i came across a couple of syrup bottles with the anheuser-busch logo at the top. i can't seem to find out a whole lot about these bottles. i want to say they are prohibition era syrup bottles. does anyone have any info. on them, age, value, history?

Comments

• Malt syrup is a sweetener made from barley but is also an ingredient in beer making.

As you might expect, breweries either had to adapt or close when Prohibition was enacted. From http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/database/article_display.cfm?HHID=441

"Anheiser-Busch made it through Prohibition by making ice cream, near beer, corn syrup, ginger ale, root beer, yeast, malt extract, refrigerated cabinets, and automobile and truck bodies. "

If you make a quick search on ebayimage for "malt syrup" you will find lots of advertising, labels, etc. for earlier 20th c. malt syrup products.
  • do you know where i could find more info. at on this bottle and or the value
  • edited April 2012
    Please describe the markings on the base. Provide a photo if you can...you might also consider making a sketch of the markings and take a picture of the drawing... This will help date the bottle.

I'll wrap things up later with some comments on value.
  • edited May 2012
    i did find a photo, finally on the net. still don't know the age or value, or how rare this bottle is.

[photo deleted]
  • Thanks for posting that photo but I am going to have to pull it. I do not want the legal dept. at Worthpoint coming after me.

I have another picture - this bottle is available for sale here: http://antiquejackpot.com/content/anheuser-busch-bud-delicicious-syrup

As I said previously, the markings on the base may help with dating but based on the photo, I am seeing this as a much newer bottle. 1950s or 60s.
  • looks like it but mine has the little handle up at the top, working off shore on a towboat right now, i'm waiting on my wife to take a picture of the bottom and email it to me. when she does i'll post it.
  • here's the recent photo's i have of the bud bottle, thanks for all of your help,
  • The photo of the base is very helpful.

That O-I mark (Owens Illinois Glass Co) has been used by that company since 1954, according to Julian Toulouse's book, Bottle Makers and Their Marks.

Perhaps with a full, perfect label it would have a little vintage value, but bottles of this era really have not caught on with collectors.
  • I found two of these bottles in the past couple weeks at a 1960's bottle dump down here in Texas, one with handle and one without.
  • I just recently found the same kind of bottle in the woods next to my house...would really like to find out how old this thing is
  • i'm still not sure on the age but the name is, bud syrup
  • If you go back to 1966rascal's photos from May 1st, the "I" in the circle mark on the base has been used by Owens Illinois only since 1954. I am thinking this is a 1960s era bottle.
  • I hace a bottle like the one pictured
    on the bottom there are no letters just numbers.
    On the left side there is 1012
    lower center is a 7
    on the right side there is a 7
    Can you give me some information on this bottle?
  • To add to my question in the circle in the center of the bottom of the bottle there what looks like a S or a J
  • It really depends on what exactly you would like to know.

If you are interested in where the bottle may have been made, then we would need to see a photo or a photo/scan of a rubbing of the bottom of the bottle.

As for the "what" - the product was a pancake syrup I guess...hope someone will post a clearer photo of a label sometime.

As for value - little or none without label. In perfect, like new condition with a label, there seems to be a minor market for 20th century vintage items like it.
  • this one recently brought $300 on ebay. crown top.
  • this cotton club anheuser busch bottle recently sold for $65 on ebay. so some are worth money!
  • this A-B syrup. sold around $60. labeled cans selling on ebay around $20-40
  • 1E40 618 on the bottom of it what's it worth

• Anheuser little syrup the bottom it's got one E40/ 618 what's it worth