Blue rounded bottom bottle

I have a blue bottle that is rounded on the bottom, has a seam to the lip the lip has poit marks on the inside, the letter N and number 2 on the bottom. It is quite heavy I would like to know what it would have been used for, who made it and if it has any value. I thought maybe a ship builders bottle, but the inside is to narrow and the bottom on the inside one side is thicker than the other. Any sugestions on my mystery bottle

Comments

• Welcome

Please post a photo!
  • Here is the picture of my bottle it maybe hold about 12oz not sure if it would hold that much liquid or not, thank you
    003.JPG 16.6K
  • the other thing i noticed ais when you turn it in the light you can see a rainbow of colors on the inside almost like a coating
  • There is a lot of misinformation surrounding round bottom soda bottles. No, the shape was *not* invented so the bottle had to lay on its side to prevent the cork from drying out. And, while many bottles were transported by ship, bottles were not created in a particular shape like this just for the sake of being used as ballast.

What is true is that the round bottom is an engineering solution to allow greater pressure inside the bottle. Early attempts at carbonation yielded irregular pressure and stronger bottles were needed. A round bottom is stronger than a flat base.

This is a mid to later 19th century bottle and it is a common thing. Put some embossing on it and perhaps give the glass a different color and you have something much less common.

Collectors call this color aqua, although aquas cover a wide range from green to blue tones.