Found Bottle on Beach (NJ)

I recently found this bottle with the inscription federal law forbids sale or reuse of this bottle. Imprinted on the bottom is r-50 and 96-41. It was found on a beach in NJ full of sand.

I would assume that's a 1941 manufacture date. Any thoughts on the 96 or the 50 ?

Comments

• The "41" may indicate the date of manufacture but I always caution that one should not jump to conclusions since every manufacturer had their own marking schema.

"R-50" is the Rectifier number. I have collected a lot of info on distiller and rectifier numbers but do not have this one.

The keystone shaped marking is also of interest. Can you tell what letter is inside this?? Might it be an M or N or K?

• The keystone marking has either a U or a V inside. And then a larger 4 to the right.

I tried snapping some clearer pictures

• edited February 2022

• Thanks for the additional photos. I feel pretty strongly that the keystone marking contains the letter "M" - your last picture is clear.

That would be the manufacturer mark of Metro Glass Bottle Co. of Jersey City, NJ which they used from 1935 to 49. (according to Bottle Makers and Their Marks) Additionally, the 96 marking has been used by Metro, according to a document on Permit Numbers that is found on Bill Lockhart's website.

• Thank you for the info