Purple English Embrocation Bottle. I need help finding the era and the history behind it.

So I have this bottle. A Purple (looks blue in the picture due to poor lighting) English Embrocation Co Montreal bottle.

I got this as a gift from a good friend of mine who knows I collect bottles. This caught his eye when he went to an antique shop.

All I could find for the history is a website that was entirely in French. I don't speak French, so I couldn't make out what the website was saying.

I've seen one on the website before, but it was clear glass version.

I would like to know the era of this bottle, and the history behind the company (if it's feesible).

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• I see the page you are referring to - the key words in French are "huile a massage" meaning massage oil. A bit more digging reveals that this company received a patent in 1899 for an "embrocation for cattle and horses" - a veterinary rubbing oil.

Your bottle started out its life with clear glass but has been irradiated to bring out the purple color - owing to the presence of manganese in the glass. You can find discussion of manganese in this forum. (link)

They also made a metal polish

ION 

BRAND 

Trade  Mark 

PUTZ  TRIPLE  EXTRACT 

METAL  POLISH 

LIQUID  and  PASTE 

For  polishing  all  kinds  of  metals  "  Lion  " 
    Brand  Putz  Triple  Extract  Metal  Polish 
    has  no  equal.  Gives  a  lasting  lustre.  Put 
    up  in  liquid  and  paste  form.  Has  a  ready 
    sale.  If  not  in  stock  send  a  postal  for  ex-