DUDENHOFFER BOTTLING CO. BOTTLE

edited June 2010 in Question and Answer
I have a straight sided (non-coca cola) bottle with the words:

"THIS BOTTLE FILLED BY" (semicircular across the top) and then "DUDENHOFFER BOTTLING CO. DANVILLE, ILL" (written in a circular shape underneath) and across the bottom is "CONTENTS 7-1/2 OZ." On the bottom of the bottle is a large capital "D"...apparently for DUDENHOFFER BOTTLING CO. The bottle also has numbers 1317 and 14 on the heel as is the word "ROOT." All this being said, it appears this is a Root bottle, 1317 notes the bottle type/mold and 14 is the date...i.e. 1914. This is an old crown top bottle and there is a seam running the side of the bottle but it stops prior to the lip on top of the bottle.

I am looking for a general idea what this bottle might be worth. Any help woud be appreciated!!! I could not seem to attach the photos but can anybody help with this level of deatiled information???

Thanks,

Greg

Comments

• Actually the spelling is "DUDENHOFER" in lieu of two F's as noted in my previous posting.

Thanks,

Greg
  • I see you have done your research - yes this would have been made by Root Glass Co in Terra Haute, Indiana which was in operation from 1901 to 1932. This glass company was responsible for first producing the iconic Coca-Cola bottle.

This is all a great story but ultimately you have a fairly plain crown top beer bottle. Certain bottle collectors might seek it because they collect Illinois bottles or specifically Danville, IL bottles.

Its value, unless it is for some odd reason rare and there are several fanatical collectors wanting it (unlikely), would be like most other basic local bottles. If nice and clean and free of damage, perhaps $5-$10-$15