Manufacturer's Mark - any leads?

edited March 2012 in Question and Answer
I've recently acquired a set of four physician's office jars. Clear glass with metal (stainless steel?) lid with small round finial. 7" tall without lid. Opening is 3 1/2" Bottom diameter is 4". Painted/silkscreened "labels" directly painted on jars in an art-deco style in a dark green/hint of teal paint. Labeled: Gauze/Applicators/Bandages/Cotton

Bottom of jar is embossed with G - E - M in a monogram style (again, using an art deco type font). The E in the center is much larger than the G and M. The lids are unmarked.

Under monogram are the letters U.S.A.

I have found some very similar jars on auction websites - appear to me to be almost identical -- with the exception that every listing states that their jar is marked "Kalon by Profex" (I've found four different listings with pictures and all say the same thing). I also note that the set manufactured by Profex also featured a "Tongue Depressor" jar -- I assume this set is missing that particular jar.

Anyone know what the GEM stands for ("E" (insert company name here!) Glass Manufacturers??)? I've checked various websites for manufacturer's marks and haven't hit on anything yet. A possible manufactured date range? I found that the Profex Company was started in 1938 by Robert Gates Watel (and is still in business as a medical supplier). Is it possible that someone else was making these jars and he took them over? Or, that he had them made prior to his starting the Profex company?

The father of the family I acquired these from was a medical doctor who graduated from medical school in Cincinnati in 1921. He then practiced near Canton, Ohio for several years before moving to south Texas. He passed away in 1955. I believe that the jars were from one of his offices.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or expertise that you might provide!

Comments

• In the Julian Toulouse book (Bottle Makers and Their Marks) there is a bit of discussion about the GEM mark on canning jars. There are lots of variations on the lettering but none are quite like this. He refers to the Dominion Glass Co. of Montreal (in business since 1913) as the 20th century company using this name...but of course these jars are marked USA so the mystery continues...