COLOGNE – CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A CIRCA DATE BASED ON THE WAY THE BOTTLE IS MADE?

Bottle 3 of 3

Description: French. Commercial perfume bottle with label. Cologne. 4 3/8” h., not including cork. Clear glass. No visible seams. Very rough pontil mark – no other markings on bottom. Large indentation on back. Imperfection near indentation (not a bubble). Other small imperfections on shoulder. Numerous teeny, tiny bubbles – much smaller than soda bubbles! Excellent condition – no chips or cracks.

Label reads: “Doable Extrait d’Eau de Cologne.”

Getting ready to set up at a perfume bottle convention. Will read or comment on postings after May 8. Have posted 2 other perfume bottles. Looking for whatever info anyone may have about them. Thanks again.

Joan, Austin, TX

Comments

• I have a similar bottle which is 3-5/8ths tall. I call it a "puff" since it is likely blown with one puff into a dip mold. I don't think these bottles are French-made, but are American-made and filled with who-knows-what. I say that based on the pontil scars which are glass-tipped, rather than the common disc pontil favored by French glass makers. Vial-blowing (puff pieces) was a specialized, but substantial industry in the USA in the 19th Century. IF the bottles actually held French perfume, it might make economic sense to import in bulk and to fill the bottles here.

• I made some better images of my example of this "puff."