Ketchup bottle? ideas?

edited February 2012 in Question and Answer
Found bottel in Corinth, MS. thrift shop for $1.99
I think it is a ketchup bottle but I can't ID the maker or date it. It has 14 facets, numbers on bottom ring read 1216. Any help appreciated.
Sacmo52

Comments

• I am not sure this was used for bottling ketchup. I suspect it was laundry bluing or ammonia or some other household item. I seem to remember answering another question on this forum about a bottle of this shape and I was able to turn up a vintage ad showing the product with label.

Chris
  • Greetings. With continued web searches I has seen shapes like this referred to as vinegar bottles. There is an "o" inside a square that I have learned is for the Owens bottle co. of Ill. But I can not find any info about this co. or this particular bottle. I will look at your suggestion too. Thanks historic!
    Sacmo52
  • edited February 2012
    This ad is from 1925. I found earlier ads on ebayimage from around 1909 which show cork tops. An ad from 1936 shows a screw top.

Vintage advertisements are a great way to identify bottles, esp. in the 1880-1950 time frame since ads in this period have lots of graphics and often show the bottle details.