Bottle found near old US airbase in the UK

edited February 2012 in Question and Answer
Many years ago I found this bottle by an old US airfield in the UK.
It is a scattertop type bottle and so I think probably used for toilet water. It has an embossed 'V' on a kind of shield on the front. On the bottom it has 43, a diamond shape and 2.
I think it may be made by Illinois Glass.
Would be grateful if anyone could add anything or put me right if I am wrong. Many thanks
ShellyB

Comments

• edited February 2012
    A picture says it all - this Vitalis ad is from 1940s or 50s

I am not sure who used the plain diamond mark - not aware that Owens Illinois did.
  • That's great, thank you so much for the information!
    ShellyB
  • I have ben searching for this bottle all night. My daughter and I found it in our creek today "unblocking the dams". She was so excited to be finding bottles! Where did you find this ad, she would love to see it! (It won't blow up enough from here!) She wants to go back out tomorrow to another part of the creek! Shelly, have you found a value on the bottle?

Thanks,
    A Goens
  • Warning: finding bottles can lead to addiction :-) I started digging as a teenager and 35 years later, I can report that the bottle collecting habit is still strong.

If you are logged in here, you can view larger images from the thumbnails so please try again. (If you are not logged in, when you mouseover a photo, you get a message that says "login to view larger photo")

Most, but not all, mid-20th century bottles like this do not have much, if any, value, except of course the thrill of discovering something old... Some exceptions to this age rule include milk bottles, fancy soda bottles and vintage bottles with intact labels and packaging.

hope you find more.