help identifying large, old handblown green wine jug

edited January 2012 in Question and Answer
I'd appreciate any help in identifying the old wine jug in this photo. I bought it recently, but know nothing of its age or history. It is clearly handblown: some bubbles, lots of wavy irregularities, thin glass, 4-part mold, neck lacks mold lines and has applied thick lip, rough pontil on concave base, doesn't sit quite flat and neck is slightly asymmetrical. It is about 14"W x 14"H x 10"D with a 6"H neck--roughly 5gal volume. A large embossed seal is pressed into the front side, with label '1987' having a particularly large 9. There are a few cracks, one of which is visible in the photo.

Any insights are welcome--thanks!

Comments

• Large bottles like this are called demijohns, or, less frequently, carboys. They were used for transporting bulk wine, other liquids, chemicals, etc.

I have owned several such as the one you have - I think most people associated these marked examples with European manufacture. Presumably they are later 19th century, but I have seen some that I sometimes wonder if they are early 20th century.

The cracks do hurt the value considerably.
  • Thanks, Historic! Now I can't resist asking--roughly how much is one of these worth, with and without cracks? And how would you differentiate between 19th and 20th century origins?

Thanks for the information!
  • Prices for demijohns can be all over the map in recent years. I would say one like this in perfect condition would bring around $100-150. I sold one last year that was similar for about $75, but I have been wanting to clear things out. That was a priced-to-move price.

For bottle collectors, the damage really hurts the value....by at least 50% You might, however, find a willing buyer at a higher price who wants it just for the decorative value.